Okay, so we clear drains. That's our job. Our goal at London Plumbing is to be the best residential london plumbing repair company in the city, so if you've got a clogged drain we're here to help. We've got your back. But wouldn't you rather just not have a clogged drain? I know you love seeing our handsome faces showing up to your door, but you'll save yourself some stress and headache (and money!) if you just know how to keep your drain unclogged in the first place. So that's why we put together this little blog article for you. First Of All, What Clogs Drains? There are tons of things that clog drains. Often it comes down to knowing what you should and shouldn't flush. If you're planning on flushing something down the toilet, ask yourself these four questions: - Is it water, or a water-based liquid (eg. not oil)?
- Is it pee?
- Is it poop?
- Is it toilet paper? If you answered yes to any of the above questions, go ahead and flush it. If not, don't! Yeah, I know that box of cat litter says it's flushable. Yeah, I know that baby wipe seems like it's the same thing as toilet paper. But it's not. In fact, some of the biggest causes of clogged drains are cat litter, baby wipes, and feminine hygiene products. If you can just not flush these things, you'll be way ahead of everyone else who does. And, y'know, your drain is less likely to be clogged. But it's not just this stuff that causes clogs. Sometimes, you can do everything right and still get a clogged drain. Some of these causes include: - Tree roots growing through your pipes
- Ground shifting your pipes out of sync with each other
- A clog in your main sewer line When this happens, what do you do? Call us! How To Keep Your Drains Clear It's pretty simple, really. Follow these tips and you can avoid having clogged drains. But all it boils down to is, don't put stuff down the drain! - Don't flush stuff down the toilet that shouldn't be there. This includes feminine hygiene products, dental floss, cat litter, baby wipes, and more.
- Don't rinse stuff down the kitchen sink that shouldn't be there. Food, coffee grinds, rice grains, whatever. Don't stick it down the drain.
- Don't rinse stuff down the bathtub drain that shouldn't be there. This is mostly hair, which sticks together with soap scum and can cause a nasty paste that clogs things up wickedly.
- Don't rinse stuff down the bathroom sink that shouldn't be there. That's mainly hair too, but all the above things still count. Yeah, don't rinse cat litter or condoms down the bathroom sink either! Just keep your drains clear of stuff that isn't water or human waste, and you'll be good (mostly).
Stuck? Give Us A Call Once you've shut the water off, take a deep breath, and give us a call. Here at the London Ontario Plumbing Company, we're happy to help, no matter your plumbing needs. London Plumbing